Paruppu Vadai


Channa dal: 1 Cup
Onion (finely chopped): 150 grams
Cumin seeds: 2 teaspoons
Coriander Leaves (chopped): 2 teaspoons
Salt : According to your taste

Make a Paste

Curry leaves : 2 springs
Ginger : 1 inch
Fennenl seeds : 1 teaspoon
Green Chilli : 3

Method of Preparation:

  1. Before going to prepare Paruppu vadai we should soak the Kadalai Paruppu / Channa dal for 3 to 4 hours. After soaking Channa dal, drain the water.
  2. Grind rough paste of curry leaves, fennel seeds, ginger and green chili without adding any water.
  3. Take 90% of soaked Dal, grind in blender add 1 to 2 tablespoon of water and make a fine paste. Put the paste in a bowl; add the curry leaf paste to it. Add salt, chopped onions, chopped coriander leaves, 10% of remaining soaked dal cumin seeds to this. Mix everything well.
  4. Next, heat oil in pan for frying. Keep a big bowl of water for dipping your hand.
  5. When the oil is ready, keep it in low flame. Dip your fingers in the bowl of water. Take a medium walnut size portion of the Vada mix, roll into a ball. Wet your fingers again and softly flatten the ball making sure that it does not crack on the top or sides.
  6. Softly slide it into the oil.
  7. Repeat the same for 2 or 3 more balls.
  8. Increase the flame to medium. Don’t touch the Vada it till the bottom side is cooked. Once bottom is cooked, flip them over and cook the other side. It should be golden brown color. Drain on to a paper towel
  9. Paruppu Vadai is ready. Enjoy with a cup of tea..!