About Thoothukudi district

Thoothukudi District, also called as Tuticorin District. It is popularly called as ‘Pearl City”. The District was formed by separating the Greater Tirunelveli District in the year 1986 (by TN Legislative Assembly). The town of Thoothukudi is the district headquarters. The district is well known for pearl cultivation, with a plenty of pearls being found in the seas offshore. It is called as the gateway of Tamil Nadu. The port of Korkai, Kulasekerapattinam, was famous in ancient world with its name and fame reaching as far as Rome. Tuticorin The district in one of most urbanized and has high socio-economic wealth. It also has higher HDI, Literacy, and Sex Ratio than many other districts. The archaeological site at Adichanallur holds the remains of the ancient Tamil civilization. According to Indian Census 2011, the district had a population of 17, 50,176 with a gender-ratio of 1,023 females for every 1,000 males. This district is well connected by air, water, road and rail transport.

History of Thoothukudi

Thoothukudi is also called by the name 'Thiru Mandira Nagar'. It is also known as "Sea Gateway of Tamil Nadu". Thoothukudi is part of the Pearl Fishery Coast, and is well known for its pearl fishing and shipbuilding industries. Thoothukudi was the seat of Portuguese during the 16th century, and the Dutch occupied in the 17th century. During the 18th century the British overwhelmed and occupied the town. It has Municipal status in the year 1866.

On the 20th of October 1986, a new district, bifurcated from erstwhile Tirunelveli district was born in Tamil Nadu and named after V.O. Chidambaranar, a famous national leader hailing from Ottapidaram who led the Swadeshi Movement in the south. Since 1997, as is the case in other districts of Tamil Nadu, this district has been named after its headquarters town, Thoothukudi. Thoothukudi became the citadel of freedom struggles in the early of the 20th century. It was in Thoothukudi that the illustrious patriot, V.O. Chidambaram established the first Swadeshi Stream Navigation Company, sailing the first steamer S.S.Gaelia to Thoothukudi on 1st June 1907.

The main harbor of Thoothukudi is well known as a pearl diving and fishing center (very famous port and known for both National as well as International). It is one of the ancient seaports in the globe and was the seaport of the Pandyan kingdom after Korkai, near Palayakayal. It was later taken over by the Portuguese in 1548, encircled and captured by the Dutch in 1658, and ceded to the British in 1825. Here, the lighthouse built in the year 1842 marked the beginning of the history of harbor development in the city. Thoothukudi was recognized as a Municipality in 1866 with Roche Victoria as its first chairman.