About Krishnagiri District


Krishnagiri is 30th district of Tamil Nadu. ‘Krishna’ refers to black and ‘giri’ refers to ‘hill’. This district is humongous with black granite hillocks and named as ‘Krishnagiri’. It is a 30th district of Tamil Nadu. The specialties about Krishnagiri is, it is first district E-governance was first introduced under the National E-Governance project (NEGP) in revenue and social welfare departments on a pilot basis. Krishnagiri is one of the largest producers of Mangoes in India. According to census 2011, the district had a population of 18, 79,809 with a gender-ratio of 958 females for every 1,000 males. The average literacy rate was 72.41% which is 10.12% higher than 2001 census.

History of Krishnagiri district


The Krishnagiri district has primitive importance. Archeological survey substantiates the presence of mankind during Paleolithic, Neolithic and Mesolithic Ages. Here, numerous rock paintings and rock carvings have been found. These paintings explain the Indus Valley civilization and Iron Age. The heart of Krishnagiri is Hosur and Uthangarai were also known as Murasu Nadu, Kowoor Nadu, and Eyil Nadu respectively. In Chola period, Krishnagiri region was called NIgarili Chola Mandlam.

Here, Hero stones have been found for those who have lost their lives in pursuit of adventure. There was a tradition of erecting memorial stones for people who give up their lives for the sake of their kings since Sangam Age. These stones are called Navagandam. Here, part of Salem, Dharmapuri, Krishnagiri and Mysore were together named as ‘Thagadur Nadu’ in Sangam Age. Here, Adhiayaman the noble king give ‘Karunelli’ (Goose Berry) to the great poetess ‘Avvaiyar’ who decorated his court for her long life. It was also ruled by Adhiyaman and hence also called ‘Adhiayaman Nadu’.

The region was also ruled by Pallavas, Gangas, Nulambas, Cholas, Hoysalas, Vijaya Nagar Emperors, Bijapur Sultans, Wudayars of Mysore and Nayaks of Madurai. It is served as gateway of Tamil Nadu and the protective barrier for Southern region. Here, there are 12 forts were popularly known as ‘Bara Mahal’ forts. Krishnagiri fort is the first and foremost defensive place. In 13th century AD, Kundani in Krishnagiri District was Head quarters of the HOysala king ‘Veera Ramanathan’.

During Mysore war – I the British troops were sent to Krishnagiri to defeat Hyder Ali’s forces at Kaveripattinam. But British army was defeated here. In Mysore war – II whole region of Salem and Karnataka came under Hyder Ali’s control. In Mysore war-II after the treaty of Srirangapattinam whole region of Salem and Barah Mahal were handover to the British. In the year of 1792 AD, Captain Alexander Reed became the first District Collector of this region. In the year 1794 AD mint was established for the purpose of making Gold, silver and copper coins.

The historical significance and potential growth in economy, tourism and education of current Krishnagiri made it mandatory to create a separate district. It was separated from Dharmapuri district on 9th February 2001.