About Coimbatore district

The Nilgiris District is one among 32 states in Tamil Nadu, India. In English the Nilgiris has translated as Blue Mountains. It is also the name given to a range of mountains widen across the division between the states of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Kerala. The Nilgiris Hills are part of a larger mountain chain known as the Western Ghats. Their highest point is the mountain of Doddabetta, height 2,633 meters. Headquarter of the district is Ooty or Udhagamandalam. According to Indian Census 2011, the Nilgiris district had a population of 7, 35,394 with a gender-ratio of 1,042 females for every 1,000 males. It is one of the highly attracted places for tourist all over the globe.

History of Coimbatore

Coimbatore is derived from Koavaiputhur, which is a new town of Covai, Chieftain Koyan or Kovan who regime the region around the city. So, Kovaiputhor evolved into Koyambatoor, it is anglicized as Coimbatore. Yet, another etymology says that the name have been derived from Koniamman, the temple located in the city. Here the goddess koyan came to be called as Koyamma later; it also evolved into kovaiamma and afterwards koniamma. The city is located on the banks of the river Noyyal.

This city is existed even before to the 2nd Century AD capital called Kongu Nadu until it was brought under Chola empire in the 2 to 3rd Century AD by Karikala Cholan, After that it was came under British rule, called as Coimbatore. In Tamil it is called as Kovai. It is also ruled by Sangam Cheras, and it is served the eastern entrance to Palakkad Gap, the main trade route for west coast and Tamil Nadu.

The Kossar tribe is noted in the second century CE Tamil epic Silappathikaram and other poems in Sangam Literature is linked with the Coimbatore (Kongu Nadu). Large numbers of Roman coins have been found around Coimbatore. It is clearly exhibits the trade between Roman. During the 10th century CE medieval Chola conquered the Kongu Nadu. In order to reminiscing the Cholas Empire, the highway called “Rajakesari Peruvazhi” ran through the region. It is also come under Vijayanagara Empire in the 15th century.

In the year 1550, the military governors Madurai Nayaks of the Vijayanagara Empire make control of the region. After the destroying of Vijayanagara Empire in the 17th century, the Madurai Nayaks has established their state as an independent kingdom. They are also introduced the Palayakkarar system under Kongu Nadu which was divided into 24 Palayams. In the late 18th century Kongu Nadu came under the kingdm of Mysore (Hyder Ali), after heavy war with Madurai Nayak Dynasty.

Later it was come under Tipu Sultan of Mysore. After overwhelming Tipu Sultan in the Anglo-Mysore Wars, after the war completion the British government annexed Coimbatore to Madras presidency in the year 1799. This city played a significant role in the Second Poligar War in the year of 1801 when it was the area of functioning under Dheeran Chinnamalai. In the year 1866 it has municipality status. Sir Robert Stanes Became the first Chairman of the Coimbatore City Council.

Industrialization of the Coimbatore begins in 1888 and sustained into the 20th century. In the year 1876 to 1878 there is a famine resulting totally 2,00,000 famine related human deaths. In the year 1900 an earthquake collapse Coimbatore damaging many buildings and infrastructures. Here there has been a 20,000 plague related deaths are happening. During the 1920’s and 1930’s the city experienced a textile boom due to the decline of the cotton industry in Mumbai. The city also plays vital role in Indian independence movement. After independence, Coimbatore has been excellent speedy growth due to industrialization. In the year 1981, it is constituted as a corporation.